Feb 25, Haiti Day2
I had a nice time wandering around the hotel today... it has marble floors, lots of mirrors and walls of wooden doors with windows that are swung open during the day. The wind blows through and there are a ton of sky lights that throw light on the billowy green plants crawling out of the large open spaces in the halls. The restaurant is at the edge of a cliff on a hill that overlooks Port-au-Prince, and you can see all the way to the ocean for about 180 degrees. On the horizon is a range of mountains, probably of the Artibonite Valley, where I'll be in about a week and a half. There is a little turtle pond with some big (and a bit scummy) turtles, and there is also a faux-stream with goldfish in it. As in all big hotels in Haiti, art abounds; paintings of Haitian people, large scuptures, wood carvings, iron work and tiny maquettes of gingerbread houses. I also found a wall of photos of famous people who have been here including Ban Ki Moon, Wyclef, Kofi Annan, Anjelina Jolie, Danny Glover and Julia Roberts, to name a few.
I also found out that I left my camera cord behind... so much for showing you all my beautiful pictures! That'll have to wait until I get back. Arghh. Or maybe my colleague has a camera and we're all in luck. We'll find out tomorrow.
The fellow I'm working with arrived today. It's always nice to see him - a world traveler with a great sense of humor and an English accent to boot! We had a nice lunch together and then worked the remainder of the day, trying to get some of the kinks in our training worked out. This process is so much easier face to face as compared to emails, skype and telephone calls!
I finished my day with a Mango-Banana-Cinnamon smoothie for dinner.
N a we demen! (see you tomorrow!)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home