Emily in the World

Friday, February 27, 2009

Food, Haiti

Hi everyone :)
I often get questions about what food people eat in Haiti. I say.... HEAVY, very heavy food.
So, I'm doing a food blog - what I ate today being the main attraction :P Mind you, I try to avoid the heavy food...
Breakfast: Mango, banana, papaya, pineapple and orange juice... oh life in the Caribbean. I had a little piece of cinnamon bread and peanut butter, and the smallest piece of dried un-processed sugar cane juice I could find... it's so good - tastes like molasses. There were eggs, labouyi (thick sweet porridge with cinnamon and anise flavoring), and other things, but I just imagine the eggs I ate in Haiti for so long - swimming in oil - and I have to turn it down.
Lunch: G-r-e-a-s-e. I looked and saw, rice and beans, some thick gravy and meat, fried goat (mostly fat), fried plantain, mashed fish with onion, and finally! beat and carrot salad! Saved. I ate carbs for lunch, but got as little of the fried stuff as possible. I often find myself selecting food here on the basis of not being fried... sometimes I end up eating bread and peanut butter.
Dinner: At a restaurant that is as close to international food as you'll find in Haiti - at the Hotel Montana. I had smoked salmon and toast with a salad. To my surprise it was the same thing I can get at the local bagel place but less salmon and more lettuce. OOps. Well, it tasted good. It's certainly back to daily rice and beans, fried plantains and either chicken or goat with creole sauce all next week. I don't regret the salmon after all.
Bon appetite!

2 Comments:

At 11:28 PM, Blogger fet mar said...

Stay away from the goat brains. They're overrated. :)

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Jessica.h said...

Oh, man. The fried food ... I remember your mom and I bought some breadfruit when we were in the mountains - Amiz (?), the woman who was cooking for us, looked at us like we were crazy when we just wanted it steamed. Poor Yves ... he didn't know what to make of our peanut butter sandwiches, steamed food, and fruit ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home