To the left is one of my pictures from the Montana Hotel. I like this because you can see how beautiful the cared-for green plants are, growing up through open spaces. If you look closely, you'll see the chair and lamp, and you can get a better idea of the scale.
Below are three pictures from the trip to Jacmel. We rode there in a caravan of Ministry cars. All at once I felt safe, imposing (not good for local people), and part of a larger 'happening'. Hopefully that last is true for longer than a training period! To get to Jacmel you have to drive through hours of barren mountains. When I first drove this route was the first time I remember deeply understanding the drastic implications of deforestation. There is also a picture of a mask from the Jacmel carnival... and a couple guys chillin' out with a gargantuan devil head. The skilled paper-mache made here is fantastic. I bought a rooster, which was a pain to carry, but definitely makes me think of the years' worth of mornings I woke up to a rooster crowing (6am, 2am, whenever they blasted felt like it :).

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home