This will probably be my last catch-up blog on Haiti. I'm in Senegal now - funny place to do this. I should be sleeping, because it's 1am, but at home it's only 9pm, so I'm not exactly feeling it.
The two pictures below are from Gonaives. This is a port city in Haiti, situated in a valley, that was devastated last year by three hurricanes and a tropical storm. The whole town was under mud and water. Now it has been dug out and people have returned, but it certainly looks the worse for wear. The building with all the cracks in it is the customer service section of a well respected bank chain in Haiti. As you can guess, the bottom half of the building had to be replaced. The other picture is one that I took behind a school we worked in. The mountains, bearing no trees, have lost all their soil and are now showing their white rock core. You wonder how the schools can prepare the children to face this reality. On the other hand, these children should have the chance to challenge the binding hopelessness abundant here, and I think a good education and access to resources (technology, books, discussion with others) is one of the best ways for that to happen.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home